Week Eleven!

 It’s a race against time! This week I was finally given my unknown samples to analyze this Tuesday. One of the unknown samples was just a bag of soil. The second unknown sample was a more realistic type of evidence, mud on the bottom of a boot. I took the sample back to the Forensics lab and extracted the soil. I then went back to put the samples in the oven for a total of twenty-four hours. I went back and picked up my samples and started analyzing them back at the lab. At first, I was a little concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to distinguish the samples between the unknowns because they looked very similar to the known samples. I spent some time separating each sample by particle size and compared the unknown samples against the knowns. Sample A was a bit easier to identify the source than sample B, which was from the boot. With the naked eye, I felt very confident saying that sample A came from the location near a pine tree by the gym. I decided to take my samples home for more analysis because it was getting late. I used a lamp to get better lighting and I think I was able to identify the location of sample B. I believe it came from the location where I got soil from a tree next to the C building.

Here is a picture of the "evidence" I received :)



Comments